Quite a bit has happened this week which is one of the reasons for my absence from here. Not all of it good but I shall start with something fun.
Just before going on my hols I did start a patchwork pencil case from an idea that I found in issue 21 of Making Magazine. I have had my eye on this for ages and finally got on with it.
It is ideal for using up strips of fabric.
The above are some of my favourites and I wanted to include the Amy Butler fabric but had to make a join in it, but it turned out on the back of the pencil case anyway.
I also had some very thin denim look fabric which I thought would contrast well with the brightly coloured patterns.
I increased the proportions of my version by quite a bit as I wanted to put particular items in my new pencil case. I top stitched down both sides of each of the seams as I was adding thin cotton batting to the back of the patchwork to also add a little quilting at the same time. I decided that interfacing would not be thick enough.
I made an over sized tab to help make closing the pencil case a little easier. I also wanted to make adding the zip neater. I have seen on the Internet about adding a tab of fabric at either end of the zip before adding it and I think that you can just about see it behind the zip handle. It certainly made the whole process much less stressful!
It turned out quite square in the end.
The reason for making the pencil case larger was so that I could use it for paint brushes and my small paintbox and water colour pencils and other arty items. There is a purpose for all of this but I am waiting for confirmation before saying anything else.
Love my new make and I can see a few more being made but that will have to wait.
Now, I need to get on with finishing a project off for school which starts in just over a week and seeing as it resembles November outside today I do not think that I can justify doing anything else!.
Bye for now.