Sunday 17 May 2009

My Quilt Around the World Block...

Here is my first block for the Quilt Around the World Bees project. If I have my understanding right this block will travel right around the world and arrive back to me with loads of other blocks!
Having just finished a blue and white quilt I had a look in my stash with the view to picking a completely different colour with much more pattern on it. Pinky, creamy, flowery sort of combination(?).
I am really pleased with the way this turned out, I just wish that my measurements would be more accurate as yet AGAIN it has turned out just under 12" x 12" . I measure, I use a rotary cutter thingy, which is awkward to use when you are left handed as your line of vision has a blot in the way, I lay it all out and it still comes out just under the correct size. I had better make sure my next block for the next quilt coming my way measures better. Maybe I shall try a different design, it might work out better.


I then wrapped it up in this pretty tissue paper that I bought from Woolworths, how Sophie and I miss that shop for all sorts of toys and stationary etc.

The sleep-over and party went really well and I think that we shall be seeing more of Rachel now that her first time away from home over night was so much fun! So I had much of the day to myself, so all the ironing is done for the week, all marking is up to date, tidied my bit of the sewing office, and did a little sewing and lots of cutting out for my sewing session on Wednesday evening.

I opened an Artfire shop during the Easter Holidays and I have been making some items to go in there. The shop only has four things in it but I have had quite a few views already.

Well, enjoy the week and I shall post the winner of the Giveaway tomorrow evening.

Take care

xx

9 comments:

maria said...

Hi, that block looks lovely. I love the fabrics you've used. Maria.

wonderwoman said...

lovely block and beautiful fabrics - i have some just like it!!

xxx

Fabric and Bags said...

Love these colours, very pretty.

I also have a problem with getting my measurements perfect - no matter how many times I measure and re-measure and cut out very carefully - I am always slightly out and it is infuriating!

Cheers
Anne x

Kate North said...

There's no reason being a leftie should affect the accuracy of your rotary cutting - swap the blade to the other side of the cutter, and use the ruler the other way around from what a right handed person would use and it's exactly the same. If you see what I mean!

Indigo Blue said...

I had thought of swapping the bolt round but mine will not let you do that, I have tried it. They make left handed scissors (I use right handed scissors in my right hand just to confuse the situation) so why not make left handed rotary cutters?

Chocolate Cat said...

I loved the blue quilt but oh I so like this block. How exciting to see exactly what you get back!

Gone to Earth said...

That's a very pretty block. Love the pattern combinations. I love those log cabin style blocks.

quiltmom anna said...

HI Indigo Blue,
I found your name on chocolate cat's blog.
I am left handed and it takes a little practise to get the blocks to come out the right size.
A couple of things to try- make sure that your blade on your rotary cutter is on the correct side of the cutter for the left hand- Most blades you can put on either side of the piece that holds it.( for sure you can do that with the OLfa cutters.)
The other thing to try is to sew your seams a scant 1/4 inch seam-or use a quarter inch foot when sewing the seams. Your accuracy will improve with time and experience.
Don't know if this will help, but as long as your blocks are the same size it should go together fine anyway.
Your block is very pretty- I love florals.
If you are interested, do come and visit me at my blog- You will find me at
http://quiltmomsjourney.blogspot.com
Regards from a Western Canadian Quilter,
Anna

Anonymous said...

I love the fabric you used for your block!
:) Missy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...