Monday 14 January 2008

Knitted Bag: Finished!


You may remember in a December post that I got this knitting kit for my birthday from my hubby. Well I am not the world's best knitter, particularly jumpers, they take far too long and I find the patterns confusing after a while.
However, this type of thing I can handle so..

Front View.


Back View.


Gingham Lining.


Close up of front detail.
I did add the embellishments, they were not part of the kit. I just used the wool to make a flower using a Prym Flower maker, crocheted a length using the pink wool and sticthed it on randomly, then used crochet to make the disk shaped flowers and added SEI buttons to the centres. I then added a lining otherwise the bag would stretch too easily. I always make the length of the lining about 2 or 3cm shorter than the outside of the bag so that when it is the right way round it does not touch the base of the outer fabric. That way the contents are supported by the lining and handles, therefore less stretching of the knitting.
Originally I was not sure of the colour combination but now that it is finished I like it alot. This is not my entry into the bag swap challenge as it was a present and I can not bare to part with it yet. The kit also gives instructions for two other styles which I could try next!

I have nearly finished my bag swap entry and I will post it nearer/after the swap just in case any of the other contestants should stumble on my blog and it would spoil the surprise.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

lovely bag, you worked hard on it and it has turned out really well. Glad you enjoyed making it,
Love Hubby :-)

picciolo said...

hi, lovely bag! It has turned out really well, the flowers you have added are gorgeous. Looking forward to seeing your swap entry!
: )

inkberryblue said...

I think it's really sweet! I like the colours, the flowers are pretty and I love the gingham lining. Well done!

I find knitting challenging too. I'm currently trying to improve my knitting skills and I am making a top down cardigan (the Cavern Cardi from CosmicPluto Knits). It's a case of trial and error ~ lots of errors! I'm determined to get better though, there are so many gorgeous patterns out there that I'd like to be able to knit up.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous bag! Wish I could be that inspired!
With the bag challenge I took old linens to mean anything pre 1980. LOL It does seems to be trendy at the moment to have 1970s looking stuff. I don't blame you for not wanting to use what your sister had made for you. Gifts are gifts unless they are fabric in which case they are yours to play with. I'm still struggling for inspiration but the antimacasars from a charity shop are all washed and ironed. Perhaps I would've been better finding a sheet in the charity shop and having loads of fabric to play with?

Lovely to hear from you.

Nan said...

Oh, this is so cute, you have a sweet man indeed to pick out such a cute project for you to make! You did a great job, and I didn't notice the missing button, till you mentioned it that Sophie noticed it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...