Sunday 29 December 2013

St Wolfgang - An Austrian Holiday

A few weeks ago it was suggested by my in-laws that we could set off in search of snow.  Hubby and I grew up in parts of the UK where winter snow can be plentiful and somewhat dangerous.  However, Sophie can bearly remember the two occasions when Cornwall had snow falls as she was so small.
So on 28th we flew to Austria.  It has been quite a mild winter here so there is no snow by the hotel but hopefully we will be luckier when we head up the mountains tomorrow for some sledging.
Today we decided to have a walk round the town.
We are staying in the Hotel Furian and the food, bed and hospitality has been great.
The town itself is very picturesque and a style that Sophie has not seen before.  I was 16 the first time I visited Austria, in fact it was the first time I went abroad with my school.  I went again by getting a Saturday job and saving up.  I love travelling and will happily go anywhere.
Sophie loves the painted buildings in particular.  She has never seen this before and had many questions to ask.
Very attractive.
A life size Nutcracker.
Possibly the tallest sign post I have ever seen!
Some snow could be seen on the mountains.  Hopefully it will snow more tonight.
There are also several lovely lakes with very clear reflections.
Sophie loves taking photos and we have brought a book along with us to record our week.  I do not think that I blogged about my final book from  last year, best do that when I get home.  Bad blogger.
We could see some snow on the mountains.
The views really are lovely.
We popped in to a Cafe and I had a gorgeous hot chocolate with loads of cream, tut tut but I walked it off later when we had a walk around the town so that we could see all of the lights.
Very quiet but it is Sunday evening at about 9pm.
Swans by the lake, there were also two real swans there as well plus a very friendly cat!!
Quite spectacular, the photo perhaps does not do it justice.
Anyway after about an hour we were getting cold but had worked off dinner and that huge hot chocolate and decided we should head back to the Hotel which is where I am typing this now.
Tomorrow we are catching the Ski bus in search of snow and hopefully some sledging.  I shall take some pictures to post tomorrow.
Hope you are all safe and well.
Plus a welcome to my new follower Shez who left a lovely comment on my table decorations blog .  Pop over and take a look at her blog too.
Bye.

PS
We sometimes take odd pictures when we are away and I thought this napkin deserved a mention.....
Looked a bit like a star and they did make the table look lovely.
xx


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

such lovely pics,thankyou for sharing.xx

Made by Mrs Jones x said...

Austria is a wonderful place (I have been twice as a child) but would love to go back. I hope you find some decent snow for sledging.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the sledding and stay safe!

Wendy said...

Thank you so much for sharing! I love those painted buildings, they are so pretty. Seems like you guys had a wonderful time. Wishing you the best coming year ever!

Mail Art Dramas said...

Great photos, I'm now dreaming of old Europe today. Here in the New World, (USA--grin) We have snow and it's cold! I think hot chocolate is the answer. Looking forward to more pictures.
Happy New Year!

Twiggy said...

I went holidayed in Austria when I was 14 and loved it!! Have a super time.
Twiggy x

Chookyblue...... said...

what a picturesque location for a holiday.......

Tatkis said...

Beautiful and picturesque city! Great vacation.

Hugs,
Tatyana

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...