Wednesday 15 June 2011

Royal Cornwall Show - Wool and Spinning

Last post on this years show I promise, but this bit was of particular interest to me. In the sheep tent was also a company which had fleece from the sheep, including some to buy. I do not know anything about what makes a good fleece apart from watching Countryfile.

I looked at all of the sheep, many looked a bit hot and I am sure that they would be sheared straight after the show. I did buy some dyed fleece of the Manx Langhead which I shall come back to in another post.
This year was a lady actually doing some spinning. We took the older group to Coldharbour Mill in Devon where we had a class on using a spinning wheel. You can still purchase these, I did find some on Ebay.

This spinning wheel was the one being used and the lady had vanished by the time I reached her. Good solid wooden spinning wheel.




This spinning wheel looked to much older and was displayed with the fleece.

The stand that had the spinning wheel also had some dyed and spun yearn for sale. I loved this colour combination, but could not think what I could make with it so a I left it. Makes a great picture though.

I am pretty sure that some of the yarn being spun further up this post is then twisted and sold as shown above.

Some of the hanks were pretty expensive but you could feel the naturalness of the wool and the work that goes into getting it this usable stage.

My eye was then caught by this little weaving loom. Looked quite old. They were using the wool that they were selling.

All of the sections were in perfect working order. A lovely little loom. I wonder what this was made into?

I love visiting all of the sheep/ animals etc. The wool Marketing board was also there showing ho9w wool is sorted and then graded.

Opposite there was a sheep shearing lorry and there were loads of people sat down watching different skills etc being demonstrating.

I will need to work on my a little project which I partly bought from the show and I will need to move on with it so be able to take some pictures.

Well it has been chucking it down with rain nearly all week and as we go into the weekend it is going to be much of the same.

Never mind, I am still determined to have a good weekend and sort out a giveaway prize as well.

xx

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely pictures and words. The multi-coloured yarn is very pretty.

Fenland Textile Studio said...

I love the multi-coloured yarn - all my favourite colours in one!!

Tatkis said...

Interesting pictures and story, thanks for sharing!
All the yarns are so nice, especially sweet colourful one :))

Hugs,
Tatyana

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...