Sunday 22 May 2011

Student Knitting Club

For just over a year my a TA and myself have been running a little knitting club after school. They come and go and the projects are quite small to maintain interest. We have been using a book that I found in a cheap bookshop but has been its weight in gold. There are also sewing ideas and I think that we are going to finish the year sewing some items. We shall come back to knitting in the Autumn term.

The above purse was made by a Year 7 student who is very new to knitting.The above parrot was featured on the front of the pom pom kit and it is so close to the picture and it it really cute. We stitched some of it together and glue gunned the wings, tail feathers and beak. I did the google eyes to prevent any injuries.Another student came up with this caterpillar idea after making one pom pom for the first time and simply looking at it to decide what she could make. The sections were strung together and the eyes and pipe cleaners attached again with the glue gun. Two very happy girls who are coming back Tuesday to start something else.
Another point to handmade, told I was on a crusade to keep this alive, because they are coming after school to this it is not part of their timetable!
I have more pictures of a different project that they did just before Easter which I shall post tomorrow.
xx

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's marvellous that you are doing this and that you have students willing to do it after school. I was taught to knit well before I went to infant school and hand sewing too, machine sewing when I was eight I think. It has stood me in good stead over the years for making my family's clothes.

Indigo Blue said...

I feel that it is a life skill. I have two new members joining tomorrow.

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

An after school craft group sounds like heaps of fun!! love the cute projects.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...