Sunday 17 February 2008

Quilting Week 3 Log Cabin Block

Week 3 of the Sew Mama Sew block-along has come round quickly and this week it is the log cabin block. This one I have tried before and I really enjoy seeing it build up. It is ideal for using scraps of fabric of different sizes and I do admit to putting a few seams here and there to join smaller bits of the same fabric together.
This is one of my attempts...
As you now I am going to try and make Sophie a lightweight quilt for the summer by using the block-along ideas and repeating them in white and flowery pinks. So I am going to do another version of this for her.
There are loads of fantasic full size quilts featured on Sew Mama Sew particularly the one by Cassie at Cassieblanca whose blue log Cabin quilt is truely astonishing! Do take a look in wonder and amazment. Sew Mama Sew
This pincushion is also made using the Log cabin method then I free machined over it with gold thread before I changed the shape using embroidery threads.
There is really good site for Quilt blocks with simple colour diagrams and instructions.

Going back to last weeks list of things to do I managed 3 out of 6. The marmalde will have to wait a little longer but the website did get added to. It would be helpful if I could preview what I am doing a little more easily but there you go and it takes ages to do anything.
The knitting is progressing and 5 more squares have been completed this week a total of 10 over the past week and a bit. I want a break from this so I bought 2 balls of wool to have a go at a small bag featured in a magazine which claims can be made by a beginner. We shall see!
I would like to thank Nannybird and Paper and String for helping me to finally understand how to put neater links in my posts. Easy peasy when the penny drops!
Have some work to do for the day job and a bad back to nurse better so bye for now.

1 comment:

zakkalife said...

what a wonderful pin cushion!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...